Disaster assistance for Albury

Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements for Albury flooding

Disaster assistance is now available in the Local Government Areas of Albury, Bland, Goulburn-Mulwaree, Greater Hume, Griffith, Hilltops, Narrandera and Temora following severe storms and flash flooding across the Riverina-Murray from 5 January 2022.

Assistance is being provided through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

Minister for Emergency Management and National Recovery and Resilience, Senator the Hon Bridget McKenzie said a series of storm events over a week-long period caused significant damage.

“Parts of the Riverina-Murray experienced flash flooding as a result of intense periods of rainfall on 5-6 January, and again on 14-16 January,” Minister McKenzie said.

“The Australian Government is working closely with New South Wales to ensure that the individuals impacted receive the support they need to get back on their feet as quickly as possible.

“We also want to ensure that local councils are supported to restore essential public assets and keep the communities affected safe,” Minister McKenzie said.

New South Wales Minister for Emergency Services and Resilience, Steph Cooke, said multiple homes in Albury had been flooded, while primary producers in Griffith incurred significant damage.

“Members of the community who experienced damage to their homes can now access financial support, while primary producers and small businesses who suffered direct damage can receive concessional interest rate loans,” Ms Cooke said.

“Storm season is continuing until March so I am encouraging communities across the eight LGAs in the Riverina-Murray and the rest of the State, to be vigilant and prepared for future storms, rainfall and flooding.”

Assistance available under the DRFA may include:

  • Help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged (eligibility criteria apply);
  • Support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets;
  • Concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations; and
  • Freight subsidies for primary producers.

For information on personal hardship and distress assistance, contact Service NSW on 13 77 88.

To apply for a concessional loan, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 or visit

Information on disaster assistance can be found on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at

Source: Albury City