End of financial year calendar and the countdown to tax time — FY22
A lot of things need to happen between the end of financial year (EOFY) and tax time. Here are the dates and deadlines to keep in mind when getting tax ready.
Key dates in June
30 June is EOFY. All new transactions from 1 July go into your FY23 books. The next month of your EOFY calendar will focus on closing out Q4 obligations.
- 14 June — pay Q4 super in Xero
- 21 June — lodge monthly BAS
- 30 June — EOFY close your books for the year.
Key dates in July
With your Q4 reports squared away in July, your EOFY calendar will now shift focus to annual reporting. That means getting things ready for your tax agent.
- 14 July — Finalise STP report if you have 20+ employees
- 21 July — lodge monthly BAS
- 28 July — Q4 BAS due (you get an extra two weeks if you lodge online)
- 28 July — Q4 Super and PAYG instalments due.
Key dates in August
Ensure your FY22 books show every transaction. Make copies of every receipt and invoice ready to give to your tax agent.
If you’re a Xero customer, get your paperwork into Xero with Hubdoc.
- 11 August — Q4 BAS final due date if you lodge online
- 14 August — PAYG withholding payment summary annual report due
- 21 August — lodge monthly BAS
- 28 August — Taxable payments annual report (TPAR) due
Key dates in September
Schedule your tax agent to work on your return.
It’s a good idea to get your books and documentation tidy before involving a professional. Otherwise they’ll need to spend heaps of extra time on your accounts, and EOFY could end up being costly. You get extra time (and way less stress) if you use a tax agent.
- 21 September — lodge monthly BAS
Key dates in October
Whether you have a tax agent or not, before working on your tax return make sure you check your books for mistakes and have run a profit-and-loss report and balance sheet.
There are multiple PAYG withholding annual reports due at this time.
- 21 October — lodge monthly BAS and pay your annual PAYG
- 28 October — Q1 BAS final due date
- 28 October — pay super guarantee contributions for Q1 (July-September)
- 15 May 2023 is the deadline for your tax agent to lodge your return.
Take your business to the cloud with Xero
Desktop accounting software has had its time. The advent of a range of cloud-based accounting software systems means that no one has to be tied to their desktop anymore.
We are passionate advocates of cloud-based accounting systems here at Salisburys. In fact, all of our bookkeeping and financial reporting systems are delivered via the cloud, so it’s time for you to take flight…
Read more here or call Salsibury’s Xero certified business specialists in Albury Wodonga on 02 6041 3014.